The President’s Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) recognizes incredible individuals who are committed to a high level of volunteer and service. These individuals work tirelessly to help solve some of the toughest challenges facing their communities, and our nation.
As an official certifying organization, Phi Sigma Pi Members are eligible to receive this special award in recognition of their annual volunteer service. This program is fully-funded thanks to the generous donations to the Lamp of Knowledge fund. Chapters and Members that achieve the minimum 100 hours of service, will receive the PVSA award package which will include a custom letter from the President, certificate and pin/medallion.
2021-2022 Award Year
Volunteer service hours are completed between July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022. All service hours must be reported to the National Office by July 10, 2022, to be counted. More information to come on how to report hours.
PVSA Volunteer Eligibility
- United States citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States
- Completes eligible service within a 12-month period (July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022)
Per federal program rules, the PVSA may only be awarded to U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents (i.e. green card holders). However, all Members are encouraged to submit their volunteer service hours to the National Office to receive recognition from Phi Sigma Pi and contribute hours towards their Chapter/Association's total.
- Unpaid acts of volunteer service benefiting others (can be in-person or virtual)
- Eligible Service does NOT include: donating funds, political lobbying (non-partisan voter registration is an eligible activity), religious instruction, conducting worship service, proselytizing, volunteer service performed as part of court-ordered community service and serving only family members.
Hours Required to Earn Awards in Each Age Group
|Young Adult (16-25)||100-174 hours||175-249 hours||250+ hours|
|Adults (26+)||100-249 hours||250-499 hours||500+ hours|
|Chapters/Associations||200-499 hours||500-999 hours||1,000+ hours|
Members who achieve the minimum of 100 hours of volunteer service during the 2021-2022 year, will receive:
- The official President’s Volunteer Service Award pin
- A personalized certificate of achievement and letter signed by President Joseph R. Biden, Jr.
- Congratulatory letter from the Phi Sigma Pi National Office
The award package will be mailed directly to Members.
Phi Sigma Pi Chapters/Associations are also eligible to receive the official President's Volunteer Service Award medallion, certificate of achievement and letter signed by the President. Group awards require the participation of two or more active Members each contributing at least 25 hours toward the group’s total volunteering hours, which must reach a minimum of 200 hours.
The Member must be an active Member of the Chapter/Association and log their hours individually via CORE (more information to come). Members can complete these hours on their own and/or as part of Chapter/Association service events, both in-person and virtually.
Tracking Service Hours
It is recommended that Members keep track of their volunteer service hours throughout the year. A Google Sheets template has been created that can be downloaded and/or copied to a Google Drive to assist Members in tracking hours on their own.
Reporting Hours to the National Office
Members will report their volunteer service hours via CORE. More information will be coming soon on how to submit service hours. Information that will be required to submit is:
- Date(s) of the Volunteer Service
- Brief Description of the Service
- Number of Service Hours
The total number of volunteer service hours will be calculated in the system.
If you have any questions regarding the Presidential Volunteer Service Award email firstname.lastname@example.org.